April to December
7 days / 6 nights
Level: easy / moderate
- Bed & breakfast for 6 nights
- 3 Dinners
- Welcome glass of cava
- Transfer from Girona airport or Flaça station to Ripoll.
- 1 night’s accommodation in Hotel La Sequia Molinar in Ripoll
- 2 night’s accommodation at La Rectoria
- 1 night’s accommodation in the Hotel Llegendes
- 2 night’s accommodation in the Hotel Trias in Palamos
- Lightweight aluminum 21 speed hybrid touring bikes or ecobike including water bottle, helmets, panniers if required, tool kit and pump
- Information pack which includes cycle route maps, your itinerary and hotel details, restaurant recommendations for the journey and emergency telephone numbers and contacts.
- Transportation of luggage between hotels (Please note that on Day 1 when you arrive at the hotel in Ripoll you will be asked to pack a pannier for clothes/items you require for day 2 only. Your luggage will be transported to La Rectoria for your arrival on Day 2 and will be transported to all other hotels on your tour).
- Emergency back up and assistance
- Lunches, tapas, drinks, entrance fees, and evening meals not specified
- Additional night’s accommodation – You may want to extend your stay in Barcelona or Girona.
Express Bus from Palamos to Barcelona.
- Catalan tourist tax (between 0,50 and 1,00€ per day)
Day 1 – Arrival
We meet you at Girona Airport or Flaca Station (if arriving from Barcelona) and take you to the mountain town of Ripoll famous for its Benedictine monastery of Santa Maria. You will spend the first night at the comfortable La Sequia Molinar Hotel with beautiful modern designed rooms, friendly staff and free Wi Fi. Welcome drink in the bar, tour orientation, maps, bike fitting and dinner booked in the hotel’s restaurant.
Day 2 – Ripoll to Olot
This morning you are ready to set off on your 140km journey from the mountains to the sea. The first section follows the old carrilet railway originally used to bring ore and coal down from the mines in Ogassa. The route takes you up through the valley to the town of Sant Joan de les Abadesses where you can stop for a leisurely lunch. Onwards now to Olot which lies within the protected area of the Natural Park of the Volcanic area of the Garrotxa.
For the next two evenings you are based at La Rectoria, a beautifully restored rectory adjacent to the Vias Verdes cycle path. Roy and Goretti will assure you of a warm welcome. Roy was previously a chef at the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh and Goretti was a whisky taster at Glenmorangie so after they prepare you a delicious meal you may even get to sample a wee dram!!
Day 3 – The Garrotxa Volcanic Area
Today you will explore the volcanic region of La Vall D’En Bas. This is a lovely circular route. Make time to stop in a couple of the rustic Pyrenees medieval villages where you feel you have stepped back in time. The route offers some amazing scenery, rugged landscapes and rivers. Head back to La Rectoria late afternoon for a second evening of fine dining.
Level: Easy to Moderate
Day 4 – Sant Feliu de Pallerols to Girona
This morning you pick up the narrow-gauge railway route which descends smoothly from Sant Feliu de Pallerols to Girona. The trail is in very good condition and has been fitted with new bridges, railings and signs. It crosses through magnificent scenery of great ecological and cultural value. It continues through the Garrotxa and reaches the Ter valley and on to the pasturelands of Salt and Girona. Tonight will be spent in the Hotel Llegendes situated in the old town (the Jewish Quarter) of Girona near the magnificent Gothic Cathedral and a few minutes’ walk from lively tapas bars and restaurants.
Level: Easy to Moderate
Day 5 – Girona to the coast
After leaving Girona the trail crosses the Selva depression, characterised by a patchwork of croplands and forests. On a clear day you can enjoy a panoramic view of the eastern Pyrenees before crossing the Ridaura valley and skirting the edge of the Gavarres an area covered in unspoiled forest. The route runs gently down to Castell d’Aro then on to the fishing town of Palamos where you will stay for the next two nights in the Hotel Trias beautifully decorated in a colonial style overlooking the beach and the port. Dinner will be served in the hotel’s restaurant.
Day 6 – The Beach/Coastal Paths
Today is based in and around Palamos. You may want to visit the Fish Museum on the harbour or wander round the fish market, or cycle the coastal path to Cap Roig a botanical garden of stunning beauty in Calella de Palafrugell. Please ask your guide for a route depending on your preference.
Distance and level – your choice.
Transfer back to Girona airport or Express Bus from Palamos to Barcelona (cost approximately €14 or Barcelona airport €19)
Cost per person based on double occupancy.
April, October, November, December 1045€
May, June, September 1140€
July, August 1240€
Private guide option from €50 per person per day, discount for party of 4 or more.
Supplement of €140 for e bike.
Prices include transfer to Ripoll from Flaça station if arriving from Barcelona or collection from and return to Girona airport. For people returning to Barcelona you take the bus directly behind hotel: cost €12 /€19 to the Airport
We meet you at Girona airport or Flaça train station (if arriving from Barcelona) and take you to the Hotel Sequia Molinar in Ripoll. After your cycling week we bring you from Palamos to the airport of Girona or you take the express bus behind the hotel to Barcelona (maximum 20€).